Improve your gut-health, flatten your belly, and calm inflammation with this sweet, tangy, and crunchy red cabbage slaw.
This simple red cabbage slaw is sweet and savory, which for flavor alone is a delicious combination, but it also has so many gut-healthy, immune-boosting, vitamin-filled benefits!
Red cabbage is not just a pretty purple veggie, but has a lot of great nutritional benefits. It’s very beneficial to people with IBS, inflammatory conditions, or those wanting to increase immune and skin health. Check out this article by Dr. Axe (one of my favorite health food experts) on the great benefits of red cabbage. With the soluble fiber from apples, healthy fats from the avocado, and the high content of flavanoids, Vitamins K, C, and iron in red cabbage, this salad keeps you full, helps metabolize fat and flatten the belly.
Try this color-popping salad as a lunch, or as a side dish. It stores well in a mason jar to take for lunch, or have throughout the week, just add some lemon juice to the avocado, or don’t add the avocado until right before serving.
Yields 4 Servings
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 large sweet, crisp apple, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp red onion, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil or Avocado oil
- 3 Tbsp Rice Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Thinly slice red cabbage and place in a colander with 1 tsp of salt sprinkled on top. Let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse the cabbage. This softens it and releases the water from the cabbage.
- Mix remaining salad ingredients together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together, adding additional sweetener or salt to personal preference.
- Pour dressing over slaw and toss to coat.
- Optional: Sprinkle sesame seeds or hemp seeds on top.