This time of year, I love love love taking dinner outside. This fresh light dinner is perfect for letting everyone make their own combo and topping it with THE DREAMIEST sauce. I can’t even tell you how much I love this sauce. I’m making extra to dress salads, wraps, and stir-fries later in the week.
Personalize the veggies with your favorites. I made it even easier to prep this meal by buying PRECHOPPED veggies like shredded carrot, cabbage and green onion, because I don’t have great knife skills nor the patience to chop tons of ingredients. All I had to do was rinse a head of orgainic romaine, chop off the end and put it on a plate. Then I diced a peeled cucumber and half an avocado, and put everything including the shredded cabbage, carrots, and green onions in bowls. Along with the SPECIAL sauce, I put out sweet chili sauce I got at Trader Joe’s (no HFC in there or red40) to top the lettuce wraps.
Serves 4 lettuce wraps
Crunchy lettuce wraps are always a hit, and one dish we always like to get when dining out. This is a gluten-free, lower sodium and fat and full of a rainbow of veggies. This lightened up version is absolutely SO good. Make it vegetarian if you use only tempeh, or feel free to use strictly chicken breast or thighs. It really comes together quickly if you buy some prechopped veggies, and get everything together on a tray. Enjoy!!
13 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
28 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Organic Chicken Breast*, ground or cubed very small
- 1/2 brick of original tempeh, steamed in water in microwave for 3 min. then cubed.
- *Option to make with only chicken or only Tempeh, just double whichever one you choose.
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced (or onion)
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium Tamari or Liquid Aminos (this is gf option in place of soy sauce)
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Sauce
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped cashew pieces, optional
- 1/4 cup raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp tamari
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1-2 tsp sweet chili sauce
- salt as needed
- Serve with Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- Shredded cabbage
- Chopped cashews
- Diced Cucumber
- Green onion
- Optional: mango, red bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno, or red chilis
- Make the sauce first and put it in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. Blending all the ingredients in a small food processor or blender gives a smooth consistency and better texture.
- For the chicken/tempeh, heat a medium pan over medium-high heat with the sesame oil and add the ginger and shallot. Stir and cook 3 minutes until fragrant and soft. Add the small cubes of chicken and tempeh, stirring often, until cooked through. Turn off the heat and add the tamari, sweet chili sauce and salt. Stir until warm and remove from heat. Sprinkle with cilantro or green onion.
- Put everything in bowls on a tray or lazy susan and let everyone make their own.
- Scoop the meat in the lettuce leaf first, then the toppings, then finish with the sauce on top.