Just rollin’ away over here. My favorite treats are usually balls or some shape like that. Wait, wait now. Not what you think….well, if you’re thinking donut holes, truffles, cake balls, or scoops of ice cream, then you’re close! But I’m talking about more POWER BALLS. Inspired by one of my favorite candy, but made over to be oh-so-much better on the gut, blood sugar, and waist line!
I have another power ball recipe for you guys, I know my family loves these and it’s a request I get often. I could eat cookie dough by the spoonful, so these are a healthier alternative that really helps satisfy the sugar cravings without the sugar. I like to try different flavor and texture combos, so this crunchy texture and almond coconut combo was inspired by a favorite granola bar recipe of mine. At about 100 calories, these make a great snack or treat with lower carbs and higher fiber than the traditional granola bar! Yeah, take 2 and don’t sweat it. As always, these are no bake, no added sugar, gluten-free and these are also vegan. They make a great after school snack, preworkout fuel, and treat to share with friends.
Tip: Store your dry ingredients in airtight glass containers so you can see what’s inside and how much you have left. I get my jars at Hobby Lobby on sale and mason jars at the grocery store. Use dry erase marker on the lid to write what’s inside and when it was filled.
Tip: These can be sticky, so rub a little coconut oil on your hands before rolling into balls. Also, chilling the dough before rolling helps it stick together before rolling. Make sure to store in the fridge and eat within a week. They can also be frozen.
Serves 1 Ball
The delicious combination of almond, coconut, and chocolate taste like a delicious almond joy, but with plenty of healthy fiber, healthy fats and protein to power through the afternoon, or curb the sweet-tooth cravings. These come together with a few simple, natural ingredients and have no added sugars, are vegan, gluten-free and will please even the picky palates.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 cup Old fashioned oats
- 1 cup puffed brown rice cereal (Arrowhead Mills)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp hulled hemp hearts, optional
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder, optional
- 5 medjool dates, soak in hot water if not soft
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted almond butter
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk or water
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips (trader joes, Simple Truth, Enjoy Life brands)
- additional coconut shreds or cacao powder for rolling, optional
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a food processor or powerful blender, add dates, almond butter, melted coconut oil and extracts and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the wet mixture to the bowl of dry and ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until mixture becomes the texture of sticky cookie dough. Add up to 2 Tbsp of the almond milk or water as needed to get the mixture to stick together. Add optional protein powder and mix well by hand.
- Chill mixture in the fridge for 20 minutes and then roll into approx 20-22 balls. Option to add a few chocolate chips to the inside of the ball or roll in coconut or cacao powder for a richer flavor.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer.